The Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter, more commonly known as the VDP, brings together Germany’s winegrowing elite. Its almost 200 member estates are known for an uncompromising pursuit of a world-class, origin-based wine culture. Their efforts have helped reshape the fine international reputation of premium German wine.
In 1908, the Karthäuserhof was among the founding estates of the “Großer Ring,” a federation of the auction entities used by major Middle Mosel, Saar and Ruwer winegrowing estates – including large church-owned estates – since the mid-19th century. In 1910, Albert von Bruchhausen, the Lord Mayor of Trier and first Chairman of the “Großer Ring,” brought together the various similar auction rings that had arisen throughout Germany and forged the “Verband Deutscher Naturweinversteigerer” (VDNV). In 1971 that organization was renamed the VDP.
The VDP eagle on our capsules is a sign of our proud association with the world’s oldest winegrowers association.